Data Engineer / Data Analyst Consultant (Contract)
- January 2023
- Core concepts: Data collection, reporting, storage, and analysis
- Type: Part time/on-demand
- Location: Remote
- Timezone: Core hours in GMT
We are looking for a hybrid Senior Data Analyst and Engineer to join and strengthen our team’s capacity to deliver great work. You will work on our data collection tools to bolster our understanding and insights from our data as well as ensuring scalable and robust solutions for how we build our products.
As a key member of our production team you will share responsibility for architecting, delivering, and maintaining the infrastructure for our platforms. Key responsibilities here include collecting and cleaning data that’s been collected, designing and implementing data pipelines, and ensuring privacy and security protocols are adhered to.
- Data security and management
- Experience with cloud services including AWS, GCP, or Azure
- Work with relational databases like MySQL or Postgres
- Experience with programming languages such as Python
- Database optimisation and structuring for storing large amounts of connected data
- Participate in the design of data collection, validation, and cleaning processes
- Securely transfer and store data across systems and services
- Collaborate with other teams like development and delivery
- Prepare and create best practices around data delivery and collection
- Experience with data analysation or visualisation tools like Tableau or PowerBI
- Ability to inform UX or UI decisions based on data insights
- Experience with dashboards of monitoring and reports
An example of our projects
We work with clients on a long term basis to continue evolving their products, ensuring they can meet their objectives. The following is two of our standout Laravel projects that you will work on maintaining.
Stack: Laravel, PHPUnit, Vue.js, Vuex, Inertia, Tailwind, Twilio, AWS EC2
Fatima is our remote research tool. It was built to respond to new requirements and understanding as the COVID-19 pandemic unfolded in March 2020. Social distancing meant face to face interviews were no longer possible, so, we built an app that can conduct fully-remote interviews with a simple phone call. Limitations in factors like location, device quality, and income, meant we had to built Fatima to work on the most basic of phones in the harshest of conditions.
Fatima allows researchers to analyse data from call recordings made by interviewers. The telecommunications that power the interviews is provided by Twilio. Using Twilio we are able to provide features like sliced audio from the calls for each question and answer; this allows analysts to quickly review and flag individual responses.
Stack: Laravel, PHPUnit, Vue.js, jQuery, Jest, Tailwind, Less, Sass, Docker, Spinnaker, Bitbucket pipelines, Twilio, AndroidSDK
TEGA (Technology Enabled Girl Ambassadors) is a peer-to-peer research app used by some of the world's leading development organisations to provide safer, faster, more scalable and authentic research around the world.
The TEGA platform comprises an Android app and a Laravel-powered admin backend. The app seamlessly transmits 100% of all data captured in–field including 1,000s of videos, audio interviews and quantitive questions, from countries including Nigeria, Ethiopia, Rwanda, India and Indonesia. It's then programatically analysed for trends/insights and available to analyse in the backend.
The TEGA backend is a large project with lots of moving parts. Features include a backwards compatible OAuth API for the Android applications, myriad of user roles and permissions, an extensive feature set from survey creation, data analysis, translation and transcription, multi-lingual support, emergency contact notification system, coding tree, extensive search, respondent de-duplication, auditing, TEGA messaging, device management, exports, and safeguarding.
Get in touch
We would love to hear from you if you are interested in this role. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Data Engineer / Data Analyst Consultant (Contract)".
To help us with your application please provide:
- An up to date CV (please point us to the roles which relate to our requirements)
- A breakdown of 2-3 projects that match what we're looking for, covering your roles and responsibilities on the project (think challenges, favourite achivements, team size, architecture and tools, etc.)
- A link to a Git repository (it can be any provider, as long as we can view the code) that demonstrates any code you wish to share
What we do
Fatima is an ethical research platform designed to respectfully collect, securely store, and rapidly analyse qualitative data from anyone, anywhere in the world.Learn more
Here I Am
Our team of strategists, designers, delivery managers, and developers partner with leading social impact organisations across the world to design, build, and scale bespoke digital products and services to include the excluded.Learn more